Underwear by the Roadside by Glen Hanket
by Glen Hanket
Who would spend their honeymoon walking across the nation, bagging litter others had left behind? Glen & Sue Hanket, that's who!
In 1993 this adventurous couple left behind the rat race to discover the real America, the one never mentioned on the 6:00 news - one of incredible beauty and unsurpassed friendliness - and litter that included underwear in every state except Kansas. (As a farmer there explained, "We don't throw our underwear away here. We wear them 'til there's holes in them, then we use them for dustrags.")
Come discover the America that still exists. Discover:
* the friendliest town in the country, where total strangers rescued them from a trek gone awry, providing interstate taxi service
* a haunted health spa, where ghostly patients party
* faith healers, fishing dogs, and rusting dinosaurs
* villages lost in time, with no streetlights and no strangers\
* disappearing customs, from milking cows to making maple syrup
* litter ranging from Bahamaian coins to butterfly collections, from table saws to TV sets
As the L.A. Times reviewer, said, "I luxuriated in this step-by-step story of a couple's trek across America. ... The author's straightforward prose and heartfelt appreciation of life's simple joys separate this tome from the weaker examples of this genre that litter bookshelves."
You can read an excerpt from this book at http://www.bikepaths.com/css/excerptU.html .
Click here to post comments.
Return to Author Zone.
Return to Home